All Information About Embedded Software Development
When it comes to hot jobs nowadays, it is a mistake if we don’t mention IT jobs, one of which is embedded software development engineers. Therefore, an embedded software engineer can get a lucrative job in the future if he or she has deep knowledge of this area. Here we give you beneficial information to answer all of your questions about this job.
1. Overview of embedded software development
First, we need to find out and have a basic grasp of embedded software industry.
1.1. What is embedded software
Embedded software development is the development of a system created and built based on hardware and serves a particular service.
- In other words, embedded software is a small software which is bedded in hardware, which makes it perform primary functions. Embedded software is used to control different functions of the device and system.
- For example, embedded software development is applied to GPS devices, industrial robotic arms, etc.
1.2. Kinds of tools for embedded software languages
There are various tools that embedded software engineers use to program and produce solutions to IT problems. Some of the popular ones are listed below.
- Editor: used to invent code in the language of C or C++
- Compiler: converts the code of a programming language at a high level into the low one.
- Assembler: plays a vital role in programming code written in the assembly language. Both an assembler and a compiler perform the same tasks.
- Debugger: eradicate mistakes and bugs.
- Linker: Integrates pieces of code and modules so that an executable program is designed.
- Emulator: enable embedded software engineers to conduct tests of the productivity of the program in the environment which is simulated in real life, and promote the experience of users.
2. Embedded software development in real life
These days, embedded software development is of paramount importance in daily life; therefore, it is applied to many fields of the national economy.
- Automotive industry: Today, an automobile is created with the participation of embedded software to meet the increasing needs of people. To be specific, people want to own a car that is more productive, comfortable, and safer. Therefore, embedded software development is supported from automatic transmission, anti-lock braking system, cruise control machine or sensors to help the vehicle move more safely and minimize risks.
- Manufacturing industry: It is easy for you to find sensors from small to large and more sophisticated in factories. Embedded software languages act as supporters helps devices perform functions more efficiently such as online monitoring, remote control of machines to data collection, and replacing people on the assembly line.
- Smart city: Currently, there are many big countries in the world that apply IoT and electronic equipment into managing the information system network of cities such as New York, San Francisco of the US. Specifically, embedded software development is enhanced in many areas from facial recognition to finding open parking spots at your local supermarket, or saving energy by reducing the amount of light that goes off when no one is around. As a consequence, the government can easily manage the situation of population, transport, health, education and other public services.
- Smart home: Smart home is a house that applies information technology in order to safeguard the environment, manage its electric appliances, and interact with the outside world. Embedded software development can act as a security guard for the house. The system has an infrared sensor to ensure the safety of the family and can monitor the temperature, humidity, gas density, water immersion in the house, and temperature. In order to receive the owner’s command and communicate the alarm to the owner, the system also has network and telephone connections.
- Health care: You can see embedded software in the form of wearable devices and patient health monitoring, thereby helping the team of experts to collect, store and analyze data quite effectively. In particular, embedded software development is designed for medical devices such as electronic thermometers, or EEG/MRI machines.
- Military and outer space: To create high-performance sensors, space and military communications, and navigation solutions, it is imperative to apply embedded software. Hence, the control of satellites, missiles, and combat is achieved more effectively.
3. Job opportunities for embedded software development engineers
Embedded software engineers are people who develop embedded software. They are considered to be programmers or software engineers who are cooperating with each other to promote embedded software development.
3.1. Embedded software engineer jobs description
There is a variety of detailed jobs that an embedded software development engineer can take into account.
- Write and test code, and create requirements and documents for the product.
- Collaborate with the team to develop applications (such as web, desktop or mobile apps), firmware, operating systems and drivers.
- Responsible for analyzing and choosing the most reasonable and effective solution for the entire embedded system.
- An embedded software development engineer will participate in the research and development of power converter control algorithms.
- Firmware Programming.
- Perform tasks assigned by superiors.
3.2. Embedded software engineer skills required
If you wonder what skills an embedded software development engineer needs to be proficient in the work, let’s find out the answer here.
- Mastering programming expertise in C, C++, and other programming languages is also very helpful.
- Understand how technology companies interact with the environment and software.
- Development of device drivers and hardware and software interfaces.
- Optimization in low-level languages.
- An embedded software development engineer needs to know how to manage software configuration with tools like Perforce, SVN, and Git.
- Project management and product development lifecycle.
- Ability to read electronic diagrams and identify problems to have timely solutions.
- Some soft skills such as teamwork, project management and ability to update technology trends, etc.
3.3. Embedded software engineer career future prospects
For those who are looking for embedded software engineer jobs, these pieces of information below may give you an overview of the career path of an embedded software development engineer, the embedded software engineer salary, and promotion opportunities.
- Quick development of embedded software: In the current technological era, electronic devices with embedded software applications are increasingly developing. In particular, the automotive industry is growing very fast and most of the devices in cars are embedded. Also, developments in AI, robotics, medical instruments, household items, and more, make everything smarter. It is this growing trend that will open up great opportunities for you to develop your career.
- Real-life application: Embedded software development makes life easier for people like automated electronic devices.
- Actualize the dreams: Embedded software can make things happen in the real world in real-time, different from the interaction of web and mobile development.
- Lack of human resources: Embedded software development industry is currently sorely lacking advanced human resources. Therefore, embedded software engineer salary is fairly high. In Vietnam, it ranges from 850 – 1065 USD/month for an experienced embedded engineer and 635 – 850 USD/month for a new employee.
For more information: Technology company HyperSol